APR is pleased to present the OEM Golf R/S3 IS38 Turbocharger ECU upgrade for VW GTI and Audi A3 (MQB) platform vehicles!
APR’s IS38 Turbocharger ECU Upgrade is designed for use with the factory Golf R / S3 turbo on VW GTI & Audi A3 (MQB) platform vehicles and produces an asphalt shedding 386 HP on 93 octane fuel, and over 400 HP using APR’s upcoming Ethanol Flex Fueling upgrades! It’s even compatible with the factory downpipe exhaust system at lower output levels. Expect lightning fast response coupled with smooth daily driving and a much broader power band that pulls all the way to redline!
Using multiple vehicles across the world and in house, APR’s team of Calibration and Electrical Engineers spent the better part of a year mastering the factory Simos 18 engine management system to work seamlessly with the upgraded IS38 turbocharger unit. All critical aspects of the vehicle’s platform were taken into consideration and monitored through APR’s proprietary engine management logging tools to levels often not seen elsewhere in this industry. Through proper mapping, the ECU fully understands the hardware changes and operates correctly. As such torque delivery is smooth and flat, avoiding compressor surge, limitations in the factory fueling system, and limiting stress on the factory transmission. Cam phasing and valve lift operations are optimized, aiding in turbocharger spool, while allowing the engine to breathe more efficiently at higher engine speeds. Under various operational modes, lambda, ignition advance, requested torque, boost pressure levels and more were painstakingly optimized to produce maximum power without resorting to risky calibration shortcuts.
To APR’s Engineers, this is the ultimate pursuit of performance without compromise. To the driver, it just works! IS38 turbochargers are in stock at Achtuning. The VW (Mk7) GTI and Audi (8V) A3 categories of our online store will be updated shortly to include this turbo upgrade.
With OEM Downpipe
Wheel | Crank | Gain over Stock – 91 AKI / 95 RON
Wheel | Crank | Gain over Stock – 93 AKI / 98 RON
Wheel | Crank | Gain over Stock – 100 AKI / 108 RON
Wheel | Crank | Gain over Stock – Ethanol
* APR recommends and tunes with Sunoco GT 260 for 100 AKI mode and Sunoco GT 260 Plus for 104 AKI mode. Never use lower octane than specified by the mode.
* Ethanol software REQUIRES APR’s upcoming Ethanol Flex Fueling upgrades.
* Max increases are based on APR’s actual measured stock values and not those reported by VAG. | RON = ROW Fuel Grades | AKI = NAR North American (RON+MON)/2 Fuel Grades.
* Reported wheel figures measured using APR’s in-house Dynapack Dynamometer with a US Spec MK7 GTI with factory IS38 turbocharger, APR Cast Downpipe, APR Intake System and APR Intercooler, using SAEJ1349 correction and an average of multiple runs. Crank figures are estimated based on the measured wheel figures. Results may vary depending upon environmental conditions, vehicle, transmission, vehicle health, operating conditions, temperatures, fuel grade, dyno type, dyno setup, other variables and other modifications.
* Race Fuel Information: Higher octane fuel typically allows APR’s engineers to create more power and torque by achieving greater ignition advance. However, on this application, APR’s engineers were able to achieve MBT, or minimum spark timing for best torque, on 93 AKI fuel with the APR downpipe. MBT is essentially the point where greater ignition advance no longer results in more power and torque. By using APR’s upcoming Ethanol Flex Fueling upgrades and Ethanol fuel, greater peak power was achieved due to the fuel’s highly oxygenated nature.
Requirements and Recommendations
APR’s IS38 Turbocharger ECU Upgrade is sold as software only. The factory turbocharger necessary for this upgrade is in stock at Achtuning.
- Turbocharger – An unmodified, OEM IHI IS38 Turbocharger is required. APR recommends using the latest factory revision (06K145722H as of Oct 20th, 2015) with APR’s Turbo Muffler Delete and recommends replacing factory one time use nuts, bolts, gaskets, and crush washers.
- Intake – The APR Carbon Fiber Intake System is highly recommended. This setup is necessary to achieve the advertised power figures.
- Exhaust – Upgrading the factory downpipe is required for the higher output downpipe software. APR highly recommends using the APR Cast Downpipe System as this system is necessary to achieve the advertised power figures. The factory catback exhaust does not need to be modified.
- Intercooler – Upgrading the factory intercooler is highly recommended. APR recommends using the upcoming APR Intercooler system. This setup is necessary to achieve the advertised power figures consistently.
- Ethanol Support: – APR’s upcoming Ethanol Flex Fueling upgrades are required to run Ethanol calibrations. No fueling upgrades are required for conventional gasoline.
- Spark Plugs – Upgrading the spark plugs with Denso Iridium IKH24, gapped to 0.024″ ±0.002″ or 0.6mm ±0.05mm with a change interval of 10-15,000 mi or 16-24,000 km is required for engine longevity and safety.
- Transmission – APR recommends the APR IS38 TCU Upgrade for maximum performance on DSG / S Tronic models. A clutch upgrade may be necessary on manual transmission vehicles.
- Oil, Coolant and Lubrication – APR recommends using Motul oils, coolants and lubricants with APR’s Oil Catch Can System.
- Audi A3 – MK3 / Typ 8V
- Volkswagen Golf GTI – MK7 / Typ 5G
All transmissions, drivetrains, and markets supported.
- $699.99: APR IS38 Turbo ECU Upgrade – Existing APR ECU Upgrade Customer OEM IHI IS38 Turbocharger (See Requirements and Recommendations Above)
- $999.99: APR IS38 Turbo ECU Upgrade – New Customer OEM IHI IS38 Turbocharger (See Requirements and Recommendations Above) $999.99
IMPORTANT PRICING AND AVAILABILITY DETAILS:
- – No price difference between factory downpipe compatible software and APR downpipe compatible software.
- – Availability and ECU Compatibility: Stages, programs, and features may not be available for all ECUs.
- – ECU Revision Notice: Multiple ECU revisions exist for each platform. APR software may be temporarily unavailable when factory updates are applied. Achtuning can check availability in person, or over the phone if the ECU boxcode/revision is known.